This healthy snack reminds me, and will probably remind you, of guacamole. I had originally called it “Guacamole with Peas” but none of my friends I shared the recipe with liked the idea of me adding peas to guacamole. One taste and I won them over. So I guess I can say this recipe holds two surprises for you…It tastes like guacamole that we all love, and it is healthy.
- 6 whole pita breads.
- ½ cup Texas olive oil.
- 1 teaspoon cumin.
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt.
- 3 ripe avocados.
- 7 ounces of Texas peas, lightly steamed and drained.
- 1 handful cilantro, roughly chopped.
- 3 green onions, roughly chopped.
- Juice of 1 lime.
- 1 tomato, seeded and chopped.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Preheat your oven to 350oF.
- Cut the pita bread into six wedges and place on a baking sheet. Drizzle with the olive oil; sprinkle with cumin and garlic salt. Toast in the oven until crisp – approximately 15 to 20 minutes. Allow to cool before touching. Store in an airtight container until you’re ready to use.
- Place the avocados, peas, cilantro, green onions, and lime juice in a food processor and pulse until just combined. Put into a serving bowl and stir in the tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper if you so desire. If you’re not planning on enjoying immediately simply place some plastic wrap directly on top of the mixture and store in the refrigerator for up to a day.
- Serve with the baked pita chips. The Avocado & Peas is also great with carrot or celery sticks, on a baked potato or on top of roasted fish, chicken, or meat.
Recipe Created by Chef Michael H. Flores
Photograph by Tracey Maurer Photography • Food Styling by Mary Ellen Rose